The recent rumours and leaks suggest that Apple iPhone Mini has been discontinued. The iPhone 13 Mini will be Apple’s final device with the Mini label attached. After that, Apple may no longer continue with the Mini models of iPhones.
Apple’s iPhone 14 launch is happening in September 2022, and before that, the company will organise its Worldwide Developers Conference 2022 event to discuss its latest products. However, people love iPhones and are always interested in iPhones. That is the main reason why there are so many leaks about its next iPhone Model months before it is released.
As per the report, Apple is dropping its Mini version and will replace it with a normal iPhone 14 Max. Before we dive deep into why Apple iPhone Mini was discontinued, let us learn about the complete history of the Apple iPhone, how it started and how it is going to end.
History Of Apple iPhone
Here we have curated a list of all iPhones that have been with us in our pastimes.
- The iPhone (2007) – The First iPhone
- iPhone 3G (2008) – It brought GPS, 3G Data, and the App Store.
- iPhone 3GS (2009) – The first-ever iPhone to shoot video and actually feel fast.
- iPhone 4 (2010) – This iPhone came with a Retina display, a front-facing camera, a whole metallic design, FaceTime, and a multitasking feature.
- iPhone 4S (2011) – Hey Siri! Siri, what can you do for me?
- iPhone 5 (2012) – Finally, the phone screen was bigger, and Apple switched to the lightning connector and introduced Apple Maps.
- iPhone 5S (2013) – In this iPhone, Apple has introduced Touch ID, a 64-bit processor, and the complete redesign of iOS.
- iPhone 5C (2013) – These were the most colorful iPhones.
- iPhone 6 & 6S (2014) – It was Apple’s first year of big phones and two models.
- iPhone 6S & 6S Plus (2015) – In this iPhone, Live photos, force touch, and a lot of other little things were introduced.
- iPhone SE (2016) – And, it’s again a time for a small phone. This invention of the iPhone definitely made a few people really, really happy!
- iPhone 7 & 7 Plus (2016) – With this iPhone headphone jack gone and two cameras introduced.
- iPhone 8 & 8 Plus (2017) – In this iPhone, wireless charging and Augmented reality appeared.
- iPhone X (2017) – With this iPhone, a whole new hardware design and most impressive camera system were introduced.
- iPhone XS (2018) – The design of this was the same as iPhone X, but a larger size option and an insanely capable camera were introduced.
- iPhone XR (2018) – A modern iPhone with an excellent camera and a big screen. The best thing was that it cost hundreds of dollars less.
- iPhone 11, Pro, Pro Max (2019) – An updated A13 bionic processor and longer battery life. iPhone 11 has an LCD crystal display, whereas iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max have an OLED super retina display.
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max (2020) – It was introduced with 5G capability, wireless charging, A14 Bionic chipset, TrueDepth camera system, and a lot more upgraded featured iPhone. Along with iPhone 12, Apple has also introduced the iPhone 12 Pro & iPhone 12 Pro Max – the higher-end versions of the phone.
The Evolution Of Apple’s iPhone Mini
The iPhone Mini has come a long way since its arrival in the year 2020. Let us take a brief look at it.
Apple iPhone 12 Mini (2020)
The iPhone 12 took over the iPhone 11 in October 2020 with its four models – iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. With it, Apple has expanded its OLED display across its Smartphone lineup and rolled out a new 5.4-inch. The iPhone 12 Mini was announced on October 13, 2020, and was finally on sale on November 13, 2020.
The salient features of the Apple iPhone 12 Mini are as follows.
iPhone 12 Mini Key Features
- Super Retina XDR display
- 5G network support
- brand-new A14 Bionic processor
- OLED screen with ceramic shield protection
- Dual 12MP Ultrawide & Wide cameras with night mode for better photos in low-light conditions.
Apple iPhone 13 Mini (2021)
The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Mini picked up where previous models left off. Of course, they have the same form factor and price range as Apple’s 2020 models – the iPhone 12. However, iPhone 13 has a new processor and better battery life.
The Apple iPhone 13 Mini was announced on September 14, 2021, and released on September 24, 2021. Here are a few key features of the iPhone 13 Mini.
Also read: How To Fix Your iPhone?
iPhone 13 Mini Key Features
- 5.4-inch super retina XDR display
- A15 Bionic chip
- 128GB base storage
- The revamped dual-camera system with sensor-shift optical image stabilisation
- Cinematic mode for video
Also read: How To Speed Up Old iPhone?
Apple iPhone Mini Discontinued: Why?
As per the rumours, Apple will not launch the iPhone 14 Mini in 2022. The company had launched the mini-series with the iPhone 12 and Apple iPhone 13. However, the iPhone 12 Mini could not create the expected buzz in the market.
Besides its tiny screen of 5.4-inch, the iPhone 12 Mini looks relatively small compared to the regular iPhone models and its Pro Max variants. Also, the battery life of the Mini version was widely criticised. Due to the lower than the predictable demand for the iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 13 Mini, it is expected that Apple is planning to kill the Mini series of iPhones.
According to reports, Apple had cut down the production of the iPhone 12 Mini by almost 70% for the first half of 2021. Even some suppliers were even asked to stop making iPhone 12 Mini’s components.
Reason For The Low Demands Of Mini iPhones
- The main reason for the low demand for Mini iPhone is its small size. And by spending the same amount of money, buyers may be more inclined to buy the iPhone 11.
- When it comes to the battery life, iPhone 12 Mini’s battery life is lesser than the older iPhone 11.
- Generally, 5G phones consume more power. Therefore, customers will be hesitant to buy a phone that does not offer a good battery life.
Both Apple iPhone 12 and iPhone 13’s Pro & Pro Max versions are doing well. However, the same cannot be said about iPhone 12 & 13 Mini. Apple never discusses individual sales numbers for the iPhone lineup, but according to research firms and analysts, the iPhone’s Mini models’ sales numbers are below expectations.
Its small screen is making it less attractive for media consumption, gaming, or productivity apps. And, its battery life is certainly not as impressive as in the larger models.
Apple 14 Max Will Replace iPhone 14 Mini in 2022
Apple launched iPhone 12 Mini in November 2020 in Apple’s iPhone 12 series, and they have continued this trend with iPhone 13 series. The iPhone Mini Smartphone is equipped with all Apple technologies but has a smaller display and a lower price. Of course, Apple has launched its budget smartphone iPhone SE, but it does not have all the features of the iPhone Mini series.
iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 13 Mini were part of the iPhone’s flagship series and came with all the Apple technologies built into them.
These signs suggest that the following will be the line-up for 2022’s iPhone 14 launch.
- iPhone 14 – 6GB RAM, 6.1-inch
- Apple iPhone 14 Pro – 6GB RAM (As per the rumours, it may get 8GB RAM), 6.7-inch
- iPhone 14 Max – 6GB RAM, 6.1-inch
- iPhone 14 Pro Max – 6GB RAM, 6.7-inch
Does the iPhone Mini have a future?
In summary, the iPhone Mini has a short-term future. As per its low sales number, there are questions about whether or not Apple will continue to offer the Mini version in the coming years.
In simple words, Apple might not be interested in keeping the Mini version for the next iteration of the iPhone design. The reason behind it is simple – the average customer who buys a high-end smartphone is not interested in smaller phones. Just remember that even if you see a new iPhone Mini later this year, it does not mean iPhone Mini is a huge success that will be around for much longer.
Also read: How To Get Best Resale Value For iPhone 6s?
Content Copy Writer with over 6 years of professional writing experience and hold a Master’s Degree in IT. I help businesses grow organically with captivating content & strategic social media tactics.