Chromebook is popular for offering a robust user experience at a pocket-friendly price. However, sometimes, users can experience issues such as Chromebook camera not working, display flickering, black screen, or default webcam glitches.
Picture this: You have an important video call meeting or an online exam, and suddenly, your Chrome camera stops working! It’s frustrating. How to fix the Chromebook camera not working? This question will pop into your mind. If you have been in this situation before or in the future and don’t want to be in this situation, read this article to the end.
This article will shed light on a few methods that will help you fix the Chromebook camera not working.
If you are looking for a quick answer to this, update the older version of Chrome OS, as the new version has introduced camera issues to it. Therefore, checking and installing the new update might fix the issue. If the issue is not resolved, you can consider restarting your device, reviewing the application permissions, or checking the camera switch.
Let’s check out these ways in depth here.
1. Restart the Chromebook
Sometimes, you might experience a minor bug in the Chromebook, or it might happen that a stuck application can cause an issue with the camera. In such a case, to fix the Chromebook’s camera, you need to restart the Chromebook.
For that, you need to shut down the Chromebook. Then, turn it on again. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- First, click on the time icon, which is present at the bottom-right corner of the Chromebook’s screen.
- Click on the Shutdown icon. It will turn off the Chromebook.
- You need to wait for a few seconds to turn it off completely. Then again, turn on the Chromebook just like you usually do.
2. Reset the Chromebook hardware
Generally, whenever any software issues arise, the normal restart process can fix the issue. However, when you experience hardware issues on a Chromebook, such as the camera, keyboard, or touchpad not working, you need to reset the Chromebook hardware. Don’t fret. It will not delete files from the Chromebook.
Here are a few steps that you need to follow to reset the Chromebook hardware.
- First, turn off the Chromebook. For that, click on the time icon and then press the Shutdown icon.
- Now, you need to turn on the Chromebook. For that, you need to press and hold the Refresh key and Power key.
- Once the Chromebook boots up, you need to release the Refresh key.
- Now, check whether the Chromebook camera is working or not.
3. Check your camera lens.
Sometimes, you might see half or blur images from your Chromebook’s camera. For that, you must check that no other object is covering the camera, like a privacy shutter, screen guard, or any other accessory. Therefore, it is advisable that you cover the camera with a soft cloth.
Also read: How To Install iTunes On Chromebook?
4. Update the Chromebook’s operating system.
Most of the time, the Chromebook’s camera stops working because of the bugs in Chrome OS. Therefore, you must check for updates and keep the Chromebook OS updated to fix such issues.
- First, open the Chrome Settings.
- Then, click on About Chrome OS.
- After that, click on the “Check for updates” button. Once you click on that, your device will search for the update. If updates are available, install it.
- Now, restart your laptop/PC and test the camera.
5. Update the Chromebook browser
The next method to fix the camera issue is to update the Chromebook browser. For that, you can take the below-mentioned steps.
- First, open the Chrome browser on the Chromebook.
- Then, click on the three-dot icon that you can see on the top.
- After that, click on Help and choose the About Google Chrome option from the menu.
- Once you do that, the browser will automatically start looking for the update.
- Click on the Chromebook browser and finish the update.
6. Try using the camera in the different application
If the camera application on your Chromebook is not working in the usual app you are using, you can try using it in a different app. If the camera works perfectly in other applications, you need to try upgrading the problematic application.
Once you update the problematic app, restart the Chromebook and check the camera. If you still face the issue, you must try reinstalling the application.
Also read: How To Run Steam On Your Chromebook Computer
7. Make sure you have granted camera permission in Chrome.
If the camera setting is proper and still the camera is not working, you need to make sure that you have granted camera permission to new websites in the Chrome browser.
- First, open the website that you want to use in Chrome.
- Then, click on the lock icon presented before the website URL in the address bar and enable it.
8. Check for privacy switch.
There are some Chromebooks, specifically from HP, that come with the webcam privacy switch. If you see the red light on it, disable it. Then only the camera will work properly.
9. Contact Google and the device manufacturer.
If the Chromebook’s camera is not working properly, it can adversely affect your productivity hours, especially when you must join many video meetings or study online for long hours. In such cases, if you face camera issues consistently, contact Google.
To contact Google, you need to press the Alt + Shift + I keys. After that, explain your issue and send the information.
Here, keep in mind that it is a long procedure. Google can only assist you when it is software bugs. Therefore, whenever you feel there are hardware issues, you should contact the manufacturer of the Chromebook.
They will check for hardware issues and suggest replacement or repair.
If the Chromebook is under warranty, then they will offer you a replacement.
10. Powerwash Chromebook browser
If any of the above methods do not fix the Chromebook camera issue, you need to try factory resetting the Chromebook. Of course, it will erase all the data/information presented on the Chromebook.
Therefore, do not forget to take a backup of your data before you reset the Chromebook.
Follow the below steps to reset the Chrome browser.
- Open the Chromebook’s settings.
- Then go to Advanced option -> Reset settings
- Now, click on the Reset button presented to powerwash.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to tell if the Chromebook’s camera not working is a hardware issue?
If all the above-discussed methods don’t help in fixing the camera problem, the reason behind this issue could be hardware. Therefore, contact the manufacturer and claim the warranty if it is applicable.
2Is it possible to take pictures with a Chromebook’s Camera?
Absolutely! You can take pictures with the pre-installed camera application on Chromebook. All you need to do is open the camera app -> press the Capture button presented on your screen.
Signing Off – Ways to Fix Chromebook Camera Not Working
In a nutshell, here are eleven ways/methods that can help you fix your camera not working. If your camera stops working and you are wondering how to fix your Chromebook camera, then update your PC/laptop to the latest version, uninstall and reinstall the application, or reset the hardware.
If the issue is not resolved, then the best solution is to contact your Chromebook’s manufacturer or IT admin. Hopefully, you find the solutions discussed here helpful. Share your ideas and views with us in the comment section below.
Are you searching for the best place for mobile repair and to sell an old mobile phone? Cashify is the right platform that offers these services at an affordable rate with convenient services.
Content Copy Writer with over 6 years of professional writing experience and hold a Master’s Degree in IT. I help businesses grow organically with captivating content & strategic social media tactics.