Got your hands on the latest iPhone update and wondering how to use NameDrop in iOS 17? This article is for you as we will walk you through this innovative feature that will change how you share contacts with peers. And it will happen in seconds! Want to know how to take advantage of this handy tool? Read to find out!
What Should You Know About NameDrop In iOS 17!
We already know about the famous AirDrop, which allows the sharing of media or documents with nearby iPhones at a lightning-fast speed. NameDrop is like a sister feature to AirDrop. It extends the functionality by also allowing contact card sharing.
Both NameDrop and AirDrop use Bluetooth technology to fulfil the task. Additionally, NameDrop takes advantage of the NFC (Near Field Communication) chip in iPhones to enable this seamless data transfer.
This innovative addition to the iOS ecosystem simplifies the process, making it more seamless than ever. Whether you’re at a business conference, social gathering, or simply connecting with friends, NameDrop is going to be incredibly useful.
However, this feature is still under development and currently is workable for the iPhone XS and above models. Apple will take some time to make it available for the wearable devices as well.
Setting Up NameDrop In iOS 17!
To enable NameDrop on your Apple device, follow these simple steps:
- Open Settings: Begin by opening the “Settings” app on your device.
- Select General: Within the Settings menu, scroll down and select “General.”
- Find AirDrop: In the General menu, look for the “AirDrop” option. It’s usually listed among other settings like Accessibility, Software Update, and Reset.
- Choose NameDrop: Tap on “AirDrop,” and you will see options for enabling this feature. You can select “Contacts Only” to limit sharing to your contacts or “Everyone” to allow sharing with any nearby iOS 17 users.
- Switch On Bringing Devices Together: Lastly, you will get the option to turn on ‘Bringing Devices Together’. You have to toggle on it.
Once you have followed all the above steps, you can get in the action! Also, note if you wish to disable this feature on your phone or turn it off, you may follow the same steps.
Know How To Use NameDrop In iOS 17 In Simple Steps!
For NameDrop to work, both the individuals exchanging contact need to make sure that they have the latest iOS 17 on their devices, or else they might face issues. Once assured, just follow these three simple steps, and you will learn how to use NameDrop on iOS 17.
Step 1: Bring Your iPhones Closer
- Enable These on Both Devices: Before using NameDrop, ensure both your and the recipient’s devices are unlocked, connected to a stable Wifi, Bluetooth and AirDrop is switched on.
- Proximity is Key: Bring your Apple device close to the other person’s Apple device. You need to either tap or touch the heads of the devices for NameDrop to activate.
Step 2: Select Sharing Option
- Profile Display: Once the devices are close enough, the NameDrop feature will activate. You will see your profile displayed on your screen.
- Choose Share or Receive: You will get two options now: “Receive Only” and “Share.” If you want to share your contact details, select “Share.” If you’re on the receiving end, choose “Receive Only.”
- Contact Cards Shared: When one user selects “Share” and the other selects “Receive Only,” the contact cards are shared successfully between the devices.
Step 3: AirDrop Notification Received!
- AirDrop Notification: You will receive an AirDrop notification after the successful exchange. This is a confirmation that the contact details have been transferred. You can choose to save the shared contact to your address book.
Step 4: Cancelling The NameDrop
It is quite probable that the NameDrop might activate if it comes closer to any other Apple device in the crowd or whatever the situation might be. If you are carrying the device in your hand, you will feel the haptic alert for the activation.
In that case, if you want to cancel the NameDrop process, simply move the two devices away from each other before the transfer completes. This will prevent the contact details from being shared.
Also Read: What is Haptic Alert on Apple Watch?
Limitations Of NameDrop Feature
We have already mentioned that the NameDrop feature needs iOS 17 on both the sharing and receiving iPhone or Apple Watch to succeed. Yet, there is one noteworthy limitation.
Note that NameDrop currently only supports sharing new contact information. One cannot use the same feature to update existing contacts. Apple may address this issue in future updates, but for now, keep in mind that you can only send fresh contact cards using this feature.
Hopefully, the above explanation will help you figure out how to use NameDrop in iOS 17. It is a convenient way to share contact information with other Apple users nearby. It streamlines the process and eliminates the hassle of manually exchanging contact details. While it has minor drawbacks, it’s still a valuable addition to the iOS ecosystem.
What are your thoughts about the NameDrop feature on iOS 17? Have you already tried it? Share it in the comments!
Also Read: iOS 17 Features: All That You Need To Know
Thinking of upgrading a mobile phone without spending too much? Cashify is the best place in India to buy refurbished mobile phones. Trust Cashify to get the best deals and save money!
An enthusiastic writer with a talent for crafting content across various genres. A devoted chai aficionado, a lover of dogs, and someone who embraces the beauty of all things natural. Let's keep in touch and stay informed about latest Tech events!