Apple’s computing software, macOS is getting its yearly upgrade in the form of macOS Sonoma. At WWDC 2023, the company’s developer conference, Apple said that this time around, there will be a key focus on gaming capabilities. Those familiar with using the American technology giant’s personal computing products would know that they were more geared towards a creative output and not particularly tasks that involved gaming.
Even when Apple transitioned to its own silicone back in 2020, GPU proficiency, at least for gaming, was not a big part. That may just be about to change. With macOS Sonoma, the gaming capabilities of Mac products will not get a boost. Read on to find more.
Why are macOS products not known for gaming?
- Historically, the Mac platform has prioritised professional and artistic software over games. Mac computers have earned a name for themselves as potent instruments for activities like music creation, graphic design, and video editing. As a result, gaming has frequently been neglected in terms of system requirements and software optimisation.
- As a result, there just aren’t that many games on macOS, and developers are not monetarily interested in providing the relative software upgrades to port games over from Windows to Mac.
- Apple’s resources are focused more on its iOS optimisations which have become a huge place for mobile game developers to flock to and make money.
Gaming Features On macOS Sonoma
Despite the drawbacks, the recent introduction of Apple silicon has ushered the company into a new era of GPU performance, which can be termed a game-changing development for Mac users. Millions of Macs powered by Apple silicon can now run even the most demanding games with ease, thanks to the new updates on macOS Sonoma. This has prepared the ground for a revolution in gaming on the Mac platform.
Also Read: Apple WWDC 23: New Macs launched!
One of the biggest updates is the game porting toolset included in Metal 3, which powers hardware-accelerated platforms on macOS, with the intention of revolutionising the process of bringing games to the Mac platform. The arduous months of preparation usually needed for game porting are gone. Developers may assess the potential of their current Mac games in a couple of days with the help of this toolset. Additionally, it makes the translation of shaders and graphics code simpler, enabling programmers to fully utilise Apple silicon’s performance potential. This not only helps you save time, but it also enables Mac game production to reach its full potential.
Also read: iOS 17 Features: All That You Need To Know
With highly anticipated games like Death Stranding Directors Cut, Stray, Fort Solis, World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, Humankind, Resident Evil Village: Winters’ Expansion, The Medium, Elex II, Firmament, SnowRunner, Disney Dreamlight Valley, No Man’s Sky, Dragonheir: Silent Gods, and Layers of Fear, the most recent lineup of Mac games is nothing short of thrilling.
Game Mode, a noteworthy new feature in macOS Sonoma, has also been introduced. Players are given a competitive advantage by this game-changing feature, which optimises gaming performance in crucial milliseconds. Game Mode provides an unmatched gaming experience than ever before with better frame rates and improved consistency by giving games top priority on both the CPU and GPU. All Mac games, including those that may soon be released, will work with Game Mode. It is clear that this feature is sure to make Mac gaming reach new levels of performance and immersion, whether gamers are exploring exotic landscapes, enduring terrifying encounters, or setting out on epic journeys.
Is this the time that Macbooks or iMacs become important in the eyes of gamers? That is a question that will have an answer in the very near future. These new updates certainly have put macOS on a pathway to find the missing puzzle in an otherwise wholesome computing experience.
Other features on macOS Sonoma
- Widgets have been improved in macOS Sonoma to blend seamlessly with wallpapers and let users stay focused on the work at hand. The interactivity of widgets has also been improved, wherein users can conveniently control media playback, access home controls, and perform a range of tasks directly from their Mac desktop.
- macOS Sonoma’s other update adds more life to your video conferencing apps like Zoom, Google Meet, or Microsoft Teams. The enhanced Screen Sharing picker streamlines the sharing of apps during video calls. Users can effortlessly click the green button located in the top-left corner of an app and select it to be shared in the call, enabling seamless content sharing directly from their open windows.
- There have even been big changes that have been brought out to Safari, which is Apple’s own Internet browser. macOS Sonoma brings Private Browsing, which offers even more security from trackers and other users who could have access to the user’s device. The browser also facilitates the creation of web apps that Apple says basically behave like web apps and allow users to have desktop icons of their favourite websites, which they can then access in a jiffy.
- Apart from all this, the new software from Apple also brings in immersive screen savers. These include Monument Valley in Arizona, and the Hong Kong skyline, just to name a few.
- On macOS Sonoma, the Screen Sharing app now offers a new high-performance mode. Apple claims that this mode now ensures remarkably responsive remote access for hybrid in-studio and remote professional workflows. Users can enjoy low-latency audio, high frame rates, and the ability to utilize up to two virtual displays, enhancing the overall remote working experience.
While MacBooks have never been high on the list of anyone who has gaming on their mind, macOS Sonoma is looking to at least partly change that. With its new porting tool, the biggest hurdle that developers had while translating their titles to Apple’sMetal 3 framework has been removed. The game mode is likely also to help potential gamers explore more games and have a better experience. All-in-all, it would likely take a while before users start to shift toward gaming on MacBooks properly
If you are conscious about saving the environment and would love to try a second-hand device at an affordable price and with excellent features, here’s your call to buy refurbished mobile phones through Cashify.